Sensationalizing the insignificant - just like everyone else.

10.5.08

The Day The Statistics Took Over

The worst thing that has ever happened to me was when I discovered that the FreeCell game in Windows calculates stats. Now, FreeCell is no longer a game - but a sport, and I am its greatest competitor ever. I have won fifteen hundred more games campaigns than I have lost quit. Currently I am in the midst of a win streak that would make even God tremble - seventy-three wins, in a row. Take that, Salisbury.

I am almost afraid to play the game anymore, for fear of damaging its future. Because, like all games - there is only so much that any individual can do, and once that has been accomplished, there is little to no room for presenting anything else. There is almost always a player who comes along and seems to have no faults - not even just as a player, but as a human being. They are tall enough to see over most, but never so tall as to seem freakish. They are attractive to the point where heterosexual members of their own sex admit that, given the right atmosphere and proper abundance of alcohol - who knows? They are as articulate as politicians, sometimes more so - as they have to deal with a daily media blitz that makes John Humphrys' interviews look jovial. Athletic to a point where they make other athletes pass out in exhaustion, which then lends to their already-present sex appeal due to their physical appearance and charm - "Oh, get them in the sack and you'll wake up with your hair tingling and your genitals so sore you'll wish they had never been sewn on."

After their reign, one can really only play the game because they love it - and true, if you play at a high enough level, others will still gladly pay money to watch and loudly critique you. But still, you cannot present them anything that they haven't already seen in some form - and because of that, you can only serve to remind them of that former greatness. And really, why would I do that to future generations of FreeCell players? I don't think I have it in me.

Enough's enough, I retire.

Today's forecast:
Partly Cloudy with a 70% chance of our not knowing where you're at.

No comments: