Sensationalizing the insignificant - just like everyone else.

5.11.08

Election Reflection(s)

This blog has always been a vehicle exclusively reserved for my words and opinions, but when faced with a matter such as this election - I would be remiss to not post the equally (if not more) eloquent words of a friend of mine, whose worldview differs from my own from time to time.

To paraphrase the words of Edward R. Murrow - 'He is a civilized individual who does not insist upon agreement with his political or religious principles as a pre-condition for conversation or friendship.' And while I may not agree with the words he has submitted, I give him this forum because I hold his opinions in high regard, however much they may differ from mine. With that, I leave you with the words of my good friend Shawn.

-------------

Although I am saddened by the reports of voter fraud and intimidation (as well as the lack of reports of said activity by certain newscasters), America has spoken. And for many of us, America was not on our side this time around. We have now elected a president who supports abortion in virtually any case, and although he claims Christianity, he does not show any signs thereof, other than calling his openly racist pastor a "great man".
This may go down as the election where the Moral Majority was not only defeated, but was obliterated first by a lack of acceptable choices, shortly followed by landslide defeat. But what do we do now? First of all, as Christians, we are instructed to pray for the leadership of our nation. That seems like it might be pretty hard to do, but if we didn't do anything we are instructed to do because it might be difficult, where does that leave us?

The Bible also says that authorities and rulers are set in place by God for His purpose (I'm just writing this as a short note, so feel free to correct me if I misstate something). I was at Bible study a few weeks ago where we were expressing our concern about the upcoming election. There was a couple there who had spent most of their lives in foreign nations spreading the gospel. Since we knew that they had a perspective we didn't on American politics, given that they were both Americans and foreigners at the same time, we asked for their input. Frankly, I was surprised to hear their indifference to the whole thing. When they explained, it made a little more sense, however.

What they said was that, on one hand, we had a candidate who supported Christian principals, though not to the extent that many Christians would want, and on the other hand, we had a candidate that would likely fight against Christians on many many issues and chip away at the country's foundation as well as people's basic rights.

Neither one is really that great of a choice (as we have known for quite some time), but then the fact was brought up that there are no mediocre Christians in Muslim or Communist nations. There is no "Yeah, I go to church, but I really only believe some of it." There is no "I'll change later. For now, I'm enjoying living my own life without religion telling me what to do." What there is in those nations is people honestly and earnestly living their lives for their God, and relying on Him instead of their own wealth and comfort.

It has become too easy to be a Christian American. Too casual. My guess is that we will see a decline in the number of people who claim Christianity in the coming years, but I'm willing to bet we will see more Christians.

-------------

Some readers may find themselves cheering in wholehearted agreement with this post. Some may find themselves with views in an almost polar opposition to them. Regardless of your reaction, all are welcome to express themselves in the comments section or even in an eMail to tribalmultimedia@gmail.com

No comments: